Healthy gums are the foundation of a great smile. While flossing and brushing are key, new research shows that eating these five foods can help keep your gums in the pink.
1. Salmon: This fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which reduce inflammation all over the body. A study found that people who ate the most omega-3’s slashed their risk of gingivitis.
2. Strawberries: They’re bursting with vitamin C, which builds collagen an important component of healthy gum tissue. In fact, people who consume less than 60 milligrams of C each day (the amount in six large strawberries) are 150% more likely to develop gingivitis.
3. Whole-grain Bread: Whole grains contain iron and B vitamins – nutrients essential to gum health.
4. Green Tea: Hot or iced, this brew is brimming with anti-oxidants that kill the bacteria that lead to gum disease. Bonus: The beverage also wipes out the germs that cause bad breath.
5. Pistachios: These nuts are rich in the antioxidant CoQ10, shown to fight gum disease.