With so much information going around in the news and on the internet, we thought it would be helpful to provide you with our own medical understanding of COVID-19. We’ve compiled the information you need to understand what the virus is and how you can protect yourself and your family from contracting it. We at Kuhn Dental Associates hope this guide to COVID-19 helps you stay safe.
About Coronavirus (COVID-19)
COVID-19 is the name of the disease caused by the coronavirus that started in China in December 2019.
It’s important to understand that the virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code. (mutation) and convert them into aggressors and multiplier cells.
Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies. Listed below is how long the virus lasts on certain surfaces:
- Copper and wood – 4 hours
- Cardboard – 24 hours
- Fabric and porous – 3 hours
- Metal – 42 hours
- Plastic – 72 hours
When you visit the grocery store or bring anything into your home from outside, it’s important to keep these numbers in mind and disinfect everything.
The virus is very fragile. It’s the only source of protection is its outer layer of fat. To protect yourself from the virus, you need to break down the outer layer of fat to decay the virus.
Disinfectants for COVID-19
The following disinfectants are the only ways you can break down the outer layer of fat and effectively decay the virus.
- Wash your hands with soap and hot water for at least 20 seconds or more. You need to create a lot of foam. The combination of soap and hot water breaks down the outer layer of fat much easier.
- Alcohol or any alcohol mixture of at least 65% will dissolve fat
- 1 part bleach and 5 parts water dissolves the protein from the inside out
- LISTERINE if it’s 65% alcohol or more
- UV light
What Doesn’t Break Down COVID-19
There is a lot of misinformation on the internet. The following is not effective at decaying the virus:
- Vodka or any other liquor. It needs to be at least 65% alcohol
- Antibiotics or bactericide
Stick with any of the products listed above or cleaning products that clearly state they defend against viruses.
Other Tips for Staying Safe
- Wash your hands every time you touch anything outside. Also make sure to disinfect your phone, keys door handle and anything else you touch when your hands are not clean.
- Keep your nails short. The virus can hide underneath your nail bed.
- If your skin is cracking for excessive hand washing, moisturize your skin. The virus can hide in the cracks in your skin.
- The virus struggles to live in dry, warm and bright environments. If you live in a humid area, investing in a dehumidifier can help keep your home less of an ideal environment for the virus.
We hope you and your family are staying safe and keep these tips in mind. If you’re having a dental emergency or need advice about a dental problem, please don’t hesitate to contact us for assistance.